Former President Barack Obama Accepts Courage Award

Former President Barack Obama is presented with the 2017 Profile in Courage award by former U.S. Ambassador to Japan Caroline Kennedy, left. (Photo/Steven Senne, TIME for Kids)

AP

Olivia M., News Reporter

Barack Obama receiving the award, Caroline Kennedy (John F. Kennedy´s daughter) on left // Photo from Portland Press Herald

Every year since 1989, the John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award is given to a political leader who have shown “the qualities of politically courageous leadership.” For 2017, former United States President Barack Obama received the award on May 7th. It was given to him at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum, located in Boston, Massachusetts.

The award was created to honor Kennedy as the 35th president of the United States, because he is said to have been one of the most respected presidents in U.S. history. Kennedy served from 1961 until he was killed on November 22nd, 1963. His book, Profiles in Courage, is what inspired the award. The book talks about eight U.S. senators who risked their careers by going through with what they believed in. Kennedy said courage was like ¨grace under pressure.”

Obama was given the award due to his courage during his two terms in office, and for his commitment to his ideas and plans. He wanted affordable healthcare, talked about climate change, and restored relations with Cuba. Obama faced lots of controversy over the Obama Care Act, and needed courage to go through with his plan.  “President Kennedy called on a new generation of Americans to give their talents to the service of the country,” Kennedy’s daughter, Caroline Kennedy, said. “With exceptional dignity and courage, President Obama has carried that torch into our own time, providing young people of all backgrounds with an example they can emulate in their own lives.”

John F. Kennedy // Photo from Bustle.com

Since Obama has left office, he has left the spotlight. Although he has been seen several times in public, he has barely spoken to the public about his opinion on President Donald Trump. The one time he mentioned it was in France, giving a speech after it was announced that Emmanuel Macron was announced the new President of France. He did not directly make any comment, opinions, or accusations, but he did note that the controversy over changing Obama Health Care still remains. “It is my fervent hope and the hope of millions … such courage is still possible, that today’s members of Congress regardless of party are willing to look at the facts and speak the truth, even when it contradicts party positions,” Obama said.

This years ceremony was a special one too because Kennedy was born in 1917, 100 years ago. Due to this, Kennedy´s daughter Caroline Kennedy and her son Jack Schlossberg presented the award to Obama. During Obama´s speech, he talked about the legacy of John F. Kennedy and his family.  “The Kennedys symbolized a set of values and attitudes about civic life that made it such an attractive calling. The idea that politics in fact could be a noble and worthwhile pursuit,” he said during his speech. “The notion that our problems, while significant, are never insurmountable.”

“I am humbled by this evening and to be honored by a family that has given this country so much,” Obama concluded.

[Total: 0 Average: 0]